Recently I have been migrating a Samba PDC and BDC from RHEL 4 to SLES 10 SP1. Everything went pretty well, until I started configuring the printers on the new Samba servers.
Monday I upgraded my iPhone to the 2.0 firmware, so now I can use apps from the App Store. Fancy and all ;-) So, I was browsing through the available applications, when I found the WordPress app.
There is a bug in the Joomla 1.5 template called 'JA_Purity', which causes an error like this:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getItems() on a non-object in /***/templates/ja_purity/ja_menus/Base.class.php on line 32.
Today, I passed the Novell Certified Linux Professional exam.
Although Murphy didn't want it to happen (there has been a power outage at the testing center, which resulted in a fried core switch, and there was no spare switch of the same type), I passed the MySQL 5.0 DBA II exam today.
Last week, it took me about 1.5 hours to get home from a customer, although it was only 17km from my place. Belgian traffic seems to get worse every day, for some reason, and I am really fed up with all this.
Some time ago I tried "emerge mysql-gui-tools" on my Gentoo x86_64 box. Unfortunately, the compilation process failed because of some errors (will include the error in this post when I find the time to reproduce it). Today, I'm preparing myself for MySQL DBA certification, and I really need the MySQL Administrator tool, so at first I downloaded the precompiled tar archive from the MySQL website, which worked without any problems.
Recently I needed to run an application that needs X on a server running SLES10. Because it wasn't necessary to have the application output anything on a screen, the X virtual framebuffer was sufficient to accomplish this. You can easily install the X virtual framebuffer, which comes with the xvfb package in SLES10.
yast -i xorg-x11-Xvfb xorg-x11
OK, this issue has annoyed me long enough. Time for some ranting. I have a PC running Windows Vista. I have an iPod Shuffle, and I also have an iPhone. Now, the combination of these things is just terrible. Whenever I connect my iPhone or my iPod to my PC, I get the annoying message "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port".
Dear readers of my blog, this post is in reply to some comments that I did not approve... As you might have noticed I write all my posts in English, although English isn't my native language. I do this because I think everybody in the IT world should know English ...
This monday I finally got my motorcycle. There was a problem with the battery, so I was unable to get it on Sunday. Why are those damn stores always closed when you need them :-( So, as promised, I will show some pictures.
This is what you get when you put a Micro$oft booth at LinuxWorld:
Today I needed to enable the pure-uploadscript functionality in pure-ftpd on a SLES 10 server. According to the spec file, the pure-ftpd RPM has been built with the --enable-uploadscript option, so no need to start rebuilding anything.
Today, I passed the MySQL 5.0 DBA I exam.
Because I really dislike the default Ubuntu background color, and I always forget where to disable it:
I just installed a fresh WinXP virtual host on kvm on my Gentoo system. It didn't allow me to use the maximum resolution that my monitor supports (1440x900). So I started reading the kvm manual page, and found the
--std-vga option. After restarting my WinXP machine with this option, Windows was unable to find a driver for the graphics card. Too bad ...
Only one country where you can see screw-ups like these:
Sweet! Yesterday I got my drivers license for the motor cycle. Today I got insurance, and my license plate. The only thing left is to get the bike itself...
Since Apache version 2.2, the LDAP authentication module is no longer called auth_ldap, but rather authnz_ldap. During a migration of an Apache 2.0 to Apache 2.2, I ran into some problems which caused a failure to start Apache.
Today I experienced a rather strange problem with SSH authentication. Someone in the company where I am working today, requested a password change for his account on some machine. Because the account is used by different persons, I asked him to give me the original password. Of course I first tested the username and password combination myself, and I was actually able to login with it.
Today I was working on a server running SLES10 with LDAP authentication enabled. I tried to add a local user account with home directory
/dev/null, but useradd complained that this was an invalid directory. So I manually edited
/etc/passwd and changed the home directory.